Saturday, January 3, 2009

Photo Radar

Here in AZ we have photo radar cameras. There are 2 cameras per "speed trap". One is set to take a picture of your face and the other is set to take a picture of your license plate. Then the courts run your plate and send you a ticket along with a picture of your face and license plate. I've seen pictures of people and it is very clear. There is no doubt about who is driving.

There is some problems that have come with this:

1. Stolen plates

A. The courts have you provide the police report number, so they have that all worked out.

2. Selling the vehicle

A. They want you to provide the information of the person the vehicle was sold to.

3. Loaning your vehicle out to a friend or family member

A. They also want the information of the person driving

Several years ago, when this started getting popular, all you had to do was take the picture into court and say "That's not me" then they would throw it out. Now they have wised up to that (probably losing too much money) and they send you the picture along with a ticket and a place to identify the driver. The information they are asking is the person's name, address, DL #, expiration, state of DL, and DOB. Then it says "I declare under penalty of perjury that the information provided herein is true and correct to the best of my knowledge". Then there is a place to sign your name, print and date. However there is nowhere to make any comments.

I'm sure you can tell, by the details given, I have received one of these lovely things in the mail. No, it wasn't me driving. Chuck loaned his car (which is in my name) to a friend of ours and he got his picture taken on the freeway doing 75 in a 65. The camera is set to start taking pictures at 10 mph over the speed limit and that's exactly what he was doing. 1 mph less and I would not be blogging about this.....yet, LOL!

So here's the problem. The friend that was driving, "Andrew", doesn't want the ticket, I guess. I know his first and last name but that's it! I know his last known address but he has recently moved to Prescott. Now I have no idea what it is. I also don't typically ask friends for their DL# before they borrow our car. Has it come down to that, asking your friends for their DL#? Do we need to keep them in our address book, or should we just make a photo copy of their license before they drive our car?

Andrew has Pre-paid Legal and called them about the situation. According to Andrew, they say that Chuck and I are under no obligation to pay for it. Andrew wants us to hold off on it and wait and see what comes of it, then we'll deal with it then. I say NO WAY! I will give him up no matter what! We had another friend that got one and he ignored it and a process server showed up at his door and handed him the ticket! The courts will not let it go. I personally don't want to be held accountable for a violation I did not commit! I do not want a warrent out for my arrest for not cooperating and/or paying for something I didn't do.

We are going to tell him that we want his information and then the courts can send him the ticket and then he can deal with his Pre-paid Legal service after he gets the ticket. I won't say that I don't know who it is. The pictures are clear, however his picture was taken at night and the bottom half of his face was dark, but I still know who it is. During the daylight hours, it's perfect.

OK, he happened to call us while I was typing this. He still doesn't want us to do anything yet. I gave him the website so he can see it and the lawyer can look at it too. He will be down on Monday and call the lawyer...again! I told him I will hold off on doing anything until then, since the information doesn't have to be in until the 27th. I also felt that he should at least have the right to view the ticket that he's being accused of. I also let him know that I will not "Take one for the team" so to speak! Chuck feels that if he wants to take on "The Man", he shouldn't do it at his friends expense. He should wait until he is the only one involved.

Once everything is figured out, I will post an update.

If you are interested in what this is all about and how it works, go to:

www.azdps.gov/photoenforcement





No comments:

Post a Comment